Some people go off to college and just can’t handle it. Whether it’s being on your own and no structure or your parents aren’t around to keep you on track, many people have to leave their freshmen year early. To avoid that, we’ve outlined 8 different ways to make sure you have the most fun, safe, and memorable college experience ever.
- Socialize – Socializing around your dorm is a great idea. You don’t want to be known as that guy or girl who always stays in their room and never talks to anybody. Some of the people you meet will be your friends throughout college and then some.
- Accept your roommate – You might not be best friends with your roommate, but try to at least be cordial. You are stuck with him or her for a year, so you might as well make the best of it.
- Get off campus – Go out and get off campus from time to time. The weekends are a great time for doing this. Make sure to have a good time while staying safe.
- Get a part-time job – It might be a good idea to get a part-time job. Even if your parents supply you with enough money it could be nice to have some savings on the side, or perhaps to pay for things that your parents won’t pay for.
- Separate – Sometimes it’s a good idea to get away from the people in your residence hall. Go out and meet new people and do new things. But don’t completely forget about your hall-mates, you still have to come home to them every night.
- Be safe – If you plan on going out on the weekends to do some drinking and partying, know your limits. Make sure you have a friend with you if you are going out, especially if you’re a girl.
- Go to class – It is very easy to get into the habit of skipping class often. Try to avoid this. It might seem easy to get away with, but at the end of the semester you will regret it when your GPA begins to suffer.
- Keep in touch – Don’t forget about your high school friends. These are the people that you will go home to over breaks, and many of them are life long friends. Also make sure to keep in touch with your parents, you don’t need to talk to them everyday but they will appreciate it if you speak with them once a week.